Public Awareness Advisory: Detectives are currently investigating a residential burglary that occurred Thursday morning on Hebert Street in Franklin. Detectives working the case learned that two suspects entered the home and took a wallet from a resident who was there at the time. The male victim was not injured. Detectives learned that one of the subjects had made contact with the victim about doing some yard work for the resident about a week prior to the crime. The subjects are described as black males driving a black smaller model SUV.
While not specific to this particular case, we want the public to be aware of the tactics these types of criminals may use to target victims. Here are some basic safety precautions you can take in your home:
- Do not advertise your home situation to strangers. Do not give out information about who will be home and when they will be home. People often inadvertently do this when talking to strangers who come to their doors.
- Always secure and lock your windows and doord.
- Keep high dollar electronics and other valuables out of view from doors and windows.
- Teach your children what to do when there is a stranger at the door.
- Don’t answer the door. Teach your kids to be alert. Let your kids know that if someone is there for a legitimate reason that they will return later.
If anyone has had any similar encounters recently or has information on the crime please contact the St. Mary Parish Sheriff’s Office at 337-828-1960, 985-384-1622, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
St. Mary Parish Sheriff’s Office
Public Information Officer