Investigation Yields Arrest, Drug Seizure
Sheriff Scott Anslum announces that on Thursday, October 25, detectives with the St. Mary Parish Narcotics Section executed a search warrant at a residence on Friendship Alley in Amelia resulting in the arrest of Derek Gaskins and the seizure of cocaine, marijuana, drug paraphernalia, and cash.
Derek Gaskins, 38, 131.5 Friendship Alley, Amelia, LA, was arrested on October 25, 2018, at 4:26 pm on the following charges:
- possession of schedule I (marijuana) with intent to distribute
- possession of schedule II (crack cocaine) with intent to distribute
- possession of drug paraphernalia
- transactions involving drug offense
- manufacturing of schedule II (crack cocaine)
- violation of uniform controlled dangerous substance law, drug-free zone (church)
The detectives located a backpack containing eleven bags of high-grade marijuana with a weight of 497 grams, seven bags of crack cocaine totaling 98 grams, baggies, a and a digital scale. The street value of the cocaine is approximately $10,000 and the street value of the marijuana is approximately $7,500. Additionally, $241 dollars in cash was seized pending forfeiture.
Gaskins was transported to the St. Mary Parish Law Enforcement Center for booking. No bail was set as Gaskins was ordered to appear in court.
Public Information Officer
St. Mary Parish Sheriff’s Office