Deputy David Spencer
Public Information Officer
David Spencer began his law enforcement career in July of 2018 when he joined the Sheriff's Office as the Public Information Officer. He graduated from the St. Mary Parish Regional POST Training Academy in June of 2019, earning the John I. Kahl Award of Excellence.
In 2020, Spencer earned his certification as a Level 1 Crisis/Hostage Negotiator and serves with the Sheriff's Office Special Response Team.
Spencer is originally from Senatobia, MS, and is a graduate of Delta State University in Cleveland, MS. After earning his Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology, he attended Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, TX, where he received his Master of Arts in Religious Education.
Spencer brings to the department a variety of skills through his years in ministry, education, and business.
As a professional photographer, Spencer utilizes not only the photographic arts but also videography in marketing on his social media platforms and his website. Spencer is an FAA Licensed sUAS (drone) pilot and flies his drone commercially as well as serving as a Drone Pilot in the Sheriff's Office Drone Section.
Spencer brings his journalistic experience as well, as he worked as a sports stringer for a newspaper in Mississippi and wrote a weekly outdoors column.
As a former educator and minister, Spencer is comfortable teaching and speaking to groups large and small with proven abilities in communicating technical information, teaching concepts, and motivating others to action.
The St. Mary Parish Sheriff's Office Public Information Office can be reached by calling 985-384-1622 or by email at email@example.com.
Duties of the PIO include, but are not limited to:
- Providing emergency and disaster information to the public and media in times of crisis
- Managing the St. Mary Parish Sheriff's Office website, www.stmaryso.com, and social media pages including Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
- Answering questions from the public
- Coordinating public appearances and speaking engagements to increase awareness on topics of public safety and promote the goodwill of the department
- Preparing and sending out press releases including arrest reports and making contact with media who may print/publish or broadcast public safety information from the St. Mary Parish Sheriff's Office
- Responding to requests for information from the media